The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative in Germany
The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) is a global Standard to promote the open and accountable management of natural resources. The partnership supports EITI implementation in Germany (D-EITI) and thus promotes dialogue and transparency in the German raw materials sector.
What is D-EITI doing to achieve its goal?
- A Secretariat and multi-stakeholder group (MSG), comprising representatives of the government, the private sector and civil society, have been set up to implement EITI in Germany.
- The multi-stakeholder group produces a yearly EITI report containing information about the German raw materials sector and the key financial flows between the state and businesses.
- The report achieves a unique level of data transparency in the raw materials sector and thus establishes the basis for more accountability.
- In terms of implementation, it is important to inform the general public about D-EITI and initiate a wide-ranging debate on raw materials. The initiative therefore undertakes a range of communications and public relations activities.
- At the international level, the partnership supports an exchange of experience with other EITI countries and works for the continued development and diffusion of EITI.
How does D-EITI work together in partnership to achieve its goal?
The project supports governance of the German EITI process by a multi-stakeholder group. The MSG comprises 15 representatives from the public and private sectors and civil society, who are appointed on the basis of parity, and their alternates. The MSG is chaired by a representative of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi). Elisabeth Winkelmeier-Becker, Parliamentary State Secretary at BMWi, is the Special Representative for D-EITI and ensures that the necessary resources and political support are mobilised. Decisions are adopted on the basis of consensus.
How is D-EITI financed?
BMWi has commissioned the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH to manage the D-EITI Secretariat.
• ACTIVE IN •
• PARTNERS •
• RELEVANT SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (SDGs) •
• LINKS •
• CONTACT •
• FILES •